Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blog #14: Your Story

Throughout the semester, my research has changed dramatically. I originally thought that I would be writing about the arts in some way, but gradually moved toward alcohol related issues. At first, I considered the topic of changing the current drinking age, but became more focused on binge drinking at college and why students do it. This eventually evolved into my present research topic of the effectiveness of social norms programs to prevent binge drinking among students.

Although I knew most students drank, I did not realize the extent of binge drinking on college campuses until I started reading the statistics. It also made me more conscious of the prevention programs that were being implemented at college universities, including Rutgers (like the RU Sure).

As a writer, I think I have learned that you need to keep an open mind when researching a topic you aren't familiar with. I also learned that you need to be clear and concise in your writing and not go in circles. Ultimately, some sort of conclusion has to result from the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment